Check List for Choosing a Safe Tattooist
- Take time to shop around in person (not recommended to shop by phone)
- Ask to see pictures of the artists work.
- Make sure the place is clean and in good repair.
- Make sure the artist is not under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Ask to see sterilizing equipment. They should have an autoclave. Ask to see results of the most recent spore test.
- Make sure there is a sink in close proxcimity for hand washing.
- Inquire if a sharps container is used for dirty needles.
- Make sure all needle bars, tubes etc. are taken from sterile packaging and opened in front of you.
- Make sure disposable razors and ink caps are used for each client, and disposed of after the tattoo is finished.
- Detailed information can be found at Ontario Public Health Standards
- Make sure the tattooist uses a new pair of latex gloves for each client.
- Make sure all equipment used is covered with plastic. This is to prevent cross contamination.
- Make sure skin is cleaned before tattooing begins.
- Make sure the tattooist clearly explains aftercare instructions.
- Make sure you receive an aftercare instruction sheet before leaving with a fresh tattoo.